CITIES WITH 100% RENEWABLE ENERGY TARGETS
Inventories of jurisdictions of cities with 100% renewable energy (RE) targets:
- Global 100%RE Map (Global)
- Go 100% Renewable Energy Map (Global)
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance Community Power Map (US)
- Sierra Club Ready for 100 (US)
- Track0 Cities & Regions (Global)
Canadian municipalities with a 100% renewable energy target:
- British Columbia: Vancouver (2015), Victoria (2016), Saanich (2017), Nelson (2018)
- Ontario: Oxford County (2015)
Unless otherwise notes, these Canadian municipalities have legislated targets that encompass the electricity, heating and cooling, and transportation for corporate and community scopes.
The municipality of Slocan in British Columbia has adopted council resolutions that are supportive of 100% renewable energy. The Regional District of Central Kootenay in British Columbia has committed to working towards 100% renewable energy. Guelph, Ontario is exploring a 100% renewable energy target for corporate operations.
PLANS AND STRATEGIES
Here are some excellent examples of 100% RE (or similar) strategies and plans from a variety of international cities and municipalities. These strategies or plans cover one or more of the electricity, heating and cooling, or transportation sectors.
|Municipality||Plans or Strategies|
|Copenhagen, Denmark||CPH 2025 Climate Plan|
|Frederikshavn, Denmark||Master plan for Renewable Energy 2030|
|Malmö, Sweden||Comprehensive Plan for Malmö: Summary in English|
|Oxford County, Canada||Draft 100% Renewable Energy Plan|
|San Diego, USA||Climate Action Plan|
|Stockholm, Sweden||Roadmap for a fossil fuel-free Stockholm 2050|
|Sydney, Australia||Renewable Energy Master Plan|
|Vancouver, Canada||Renewable City Strategy|
Renewable Cities has authored or contributed substantively to the following publications:
- Renewable Cities: Mapping Enabling Policies for Vancouver’s 100% Renewable Energy Strategy
Author: Renewable Cities / February 2018
Description: The purpose of this project was to clarify the roles of different levels of government in relation to the City of Vancouver’s implementation of the Renewable City Strategy.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2017: Final Report
Author: Renewable Cities / October 2017
Description: This is a synthesis and jumping off point for summaries of Forum 2017 sessions. 320 leaders came together to discuss the urban energy transition.
- 100% RE Building Blocks: A practical toolkit for a sustainable transition to 100% Renewable Energy
Author: World Future Council / May 2017
Description: This document applies across jurisdictions with various geographical, political, social, cultural and economic conditions and provide guidance for policy makers, governments and community champions to develop their own 100% RE roadmap.
- Setting 100% Renewable Energy Targets in Municipalities – Synthesis
Author: Renewable Cities / February 2017
Description: How are different municipalities approaching setting a 100% RE target? This synthesis pulls together various reports with an aim of supporting policy-makers. Contributors and comments are welcome for this evolving document.
- North American Dialogue on 100% Renewable Energy in Cities
Author: Renewable Cities / September 2016
Description: Small, medium, and large cities from Canada and the United States came to learn about tools and resources and share opportunities for the transition to 100% renewable energy.
- Renewable Energy Challenge: Finding transportation, building and district energy solutions for a 100 percent renewable energy future
Authors: Vancouver Economic Commission; C40; Renewable Cities; CLEAN / June 2016
Description: A challenge session that asked participants to contribute to built environment and transportation solutions for New York City, Vancouver, and other groups.
- Zero Emissions, Big Business: How Can the Private Sector Help Cities Deliver on the Promise of Paris?
Authors: Renewable Cities / June 2016
Description: This panel discussion hosted leaders from 100 Resilient Cities; C40; CDP; Citi Bank, and the City of Helsinki to discuss how businesses and local governments can collaborate on zero emissions.
- COP21 Dialogue: 100% Renewable Energy in Cities
Authors: Renewable Cities; ICLEI; World Future Council / March 2016
Description: Our dialogue brought city leaders together from several continents to discuss the barriers and opportunities for adopting a 100% renewable energy target.
- Kassel International Dialogue on 100% Renewable Energy
Authors: deENet; Renewable Cities; World Future Council / March 2016
Description: A multi-stakeholder dialogue that developed a set of criteria that governments can use to implement 100% renewable energy, from planning, to engagement, to integration between energy end use sectors.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2015: Synthesis Report
Author: Renewable Cities / July 2015
Description: The Synthesis Report captures and condenses findings and challenges from the dialogues held at Global Forum 2015.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2015: Final Report
Author: Renewable Cities / July 2015
Description: This report documents the 32 workshops and numerous plenary sessions that we held during Global Learning Forum 2015 in Vancouver and covers a wide range of discussions on 100% RE electricity, heating and cooling, and transportation.