CITIES WITH 100% RENEWABLE ENERGY TARGETS
Inventories of jurisdictions of cities with 100% renewable energy (RE) targets:
- Global 100%RE Map (Global)
- Go 100% Renewable Energy Map (Global)
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance Community Power Map (US)
- Sierra Club Ready for 100 (US)
- Track0 Cities & Regions (Global)
Canadian municipalities with a 100% renewable energy target:
All Canadian jurisdictions have a legislated target that cover the electricity, heating and cooling, and transportation sectors.
PLANS AND STRATEGIES
Here are some excellent examples of 100% RE (or similar) strategies and plans from a variety of international cities and municipalities. These strategies or plans cover one or more of the electricity, heating and cooling, or transportation sectors.
|Municipality||Plans or Strategies|
|Copenhagen, Denmark||CPH 2025 Climate Plan|
|Frederikshavn, Denmark||Master plan for Renewable Energy 2030|
|Malmö, Sweden||Comprehensive Plan for Malmö: Summary in English|
|Oxford County, Canada||Draft 100% Renewable Energy Plan|
|San Diego, USA||Climate Action Plan|
|Stockholm, Sweden||Roadmap for a fossil fuel-free Stockholm 2050|
|Sydney, Australia||Renewable Energy Master Plan|
|Vancouver, Canada||Renewable City Strategy|
REPORTS AND PAPERS
Renewable Cities has either written or contributed substantially to the following reports:
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2017: Final Report
Author: Renewable Cities / October 2017
Description: This is a synthesis and jumping off point for summaries of Forum 2017 sessions. 320 leaders came together to discuss the urban energy transition.
- 100% RE Building Blocks: A practical toolkit for a sustainable transition to 100% Renewable Energy
Author: World Future Council / May 2017
Description: This document applies across jurisdictions with various geographical, political, social, cultural and economic conditions and provide guidance for policy makers, governments and community champions to develop their own 100% RE roadmap.
- Setting 100% Renewable Energy Targets in Municipalities – Synthesis
Author: Renewable Cities / February 2016
Description: How are different municipalities approaching setting a 100% RE target? This synthesis pulls together various reports with an aim of supporting policy-makers. Contributors and comments are welcome for this evolving document.
- North American Dialogue on 100% Renewable Energy in Cities
Author: Renewable Cities / September 2016
Description: Small, medium, and large cities from Canada and the United States came to learn about tools and resources and share opportunities for the transition to 100% renewable energy.
- Renewable Energy Challenge: Finding transportation, building and district energy solutions for a 100 percent renewable energy future
Authors: Vancouver Economic Commission; C40; Renewable Cities; CLEAN / June 2016
Description: A challenge session that asked participants to contribute to built environment and transportation solutions for New York City, Vancouver, and other groups.
- Zero Emissions, Big Business: How Can the Private Sector Help Cities Deliver on the Promise of Paris?
Authors: Renewable Cities / June 2016
Description: This panel discussion hosted leaders from 100 Resilient Cities; C40; CDP; Citi Bank, and the City of Helsinki to discuss how businesses and local governments can collaborate on zero emissions.
- COP21 Dialogue: 100% Renewable Energy in Cities
Authors: Renewable Cities; ICLEI; World Future Council / March 2016
Description: Our dialogue brought city leaders together from several continents to discuss the barriers and opportunities for adopting a 100% renewable energy target.
- Kassel International Dialogue on 100% Renewable Energy
Authors: deENet; Renewable Cities; World Future Council / March 2016
Description: A multi-stakeholder dialogue that developed a set of criteria that governments can use to implement 100% renewable energy, from planning, to engagement, to integration between energy end use sectors.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2015: Synthesis Report
Author: Renewable Cities / July 2015
Description: The Synthesis Report captures and condenses findings and challenges from the dialogues held at Global Forum 2015.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2015: Final Report
Author: Renewable Cities / July 2015
Description: This report documents the 32 workshops and numerous plenary sessions that we held during Global Learning Forum 2015 in Vancouver and covers a wide range of discussions on 100% RE electricity, heating and cooling, and transportation.