COMPLETE, COMPACT, CONNECTED COMMUNITIES
SMART GROWTH, SMART CITY
Renewable Cities Resources
- Complete, Compact, Energy Efficient Rural and Urban Communities: Renewable Cities’ policy recommendations on sustainable land use planning for the Union of BC Municipalities.
- Targets, Tactics & Triumph: setting strategic targets & indicators for CleanBC success: Renewable Cities’ submission to the BC Government on the benefits of a comprehensive target and indicator framework to foster literacy, guide implementation, facilitate monitoring, support continuous improvement on meeting climate targets.
- Climate Emergency, Urban Opportunity: A Coalition for Urban Transitions report highlighting the value of compact, connected and clean cities.
- National Transport Policy and Cities: key policy interventions to drive compact and connected urban growth: Coalition for Urban Transitions’ report on smart transport policy that lays the foundation for better urban structures, boosting public transport use and discouraging private car use.
- Density Done Right: A report by Ryerson University’s City Building Institute that makes the case for distributed density based on an analysis of growth in the Greater Golden Horseshoe region.
- The BC Climate Leaders Playbook: A resource for reducing community energy emissions for local government elected officials.
- Green Communities: Decarbonizing the Built Environment: A research project by the Pacific Institute of Climate Solutions that uses neighbourhood-scale simulations to evaluate policy and economic mechanisms through urban form, land use patterns, building retrofits and mobility.
INTEGRATED HOUSING SOLUTIONS
Renewable Cities Resources
- Climate Caucus Councillor’s Handbook: Increasing Density through Accessory Dwellings Units: Renewable Cities contributed policy recommendations for increasing accessory dwelling unit (ADU) in single family neighbourhoods.
- Hidden Housing Solutions in Single Family Neighbourhoods: Renewable Cities’ policy recommendations for the B.C. Government’s Expert Panel on the Future of Housing Supply and Affordability.
- AccessoryDwellings.org: A source for resources, policies and examples of accessory dwelling units.
- Building an ADU: Resources and articles on accessory dwelling units including trends, policies and design principles.
- Sightline’s Free Missing Middle Housing Photo Library: The Sightline Institute’s Creative Commons license photos that showcase missing middle homes, like ADUs, backyard cottages, mother-in-law suites, duplexes, triplexes, or low-rise apartments.
- Canada Homeshare Program: A flagship homeshare program run by the National Initiative for the Care of the Elderly (NICE) that matches older adults with university and college students.
ZERO EMISSION CARS & BUSES
Renewable Cities Resources
- RC Submission on B.C.’s Proposed ZEV Act Regulations: Renewable Cities’ input on B.C.’s proposed ZEV Act regulations, outlining the imperative to meet 2030 targets in its largest and fastest growing sector: personal transportation.
- Charging Forward: insights from e-mobility innovators: Key insights from Renewable Cities’ Transportation Electrification Session at the Global Grid Forum 2019
- Driving Down Emissions: Transportation, Land Use, and Climate Change: A report by Smart Growth America and Transportation for America that advocates for policies beyond vehicle electrification, prioritizing land use that allow people to get out of their cars.
- Rethinking Urban Mobility: A report by ARUP on the challenges and opportunities for new urban mobility systems.
- Taking the Wheel: A Clean Energy Canada report on how a move toward zero-emission vehicles can both cut pollution and set our auto sector up to compete in the global economy.
CLEAN, LOCAL, CIRCULAR ECONOMIES
COMMUNITY RENEWABLE NATURAL GAS
- Canadian Biogas Association: Canada’s biogas industry association, providing knowledge exchange, resources and research for building the biogas sector.
- National Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) Handbook for Canadian Municipalities: This guidebook for local governments interested in RNG generation, prepared by the Canadian Biogas Association, QUEST and other partners.
- Closing the Loop: A primer for municipalities, food processors and fleets on fueling vehicles using renewable natural gas, prepared by the Canadian Biogas Association and other partners.
- Municipal Solid Waste Organics Processing: An in-depth technical guide on converting organic waste to compost, digestate and biogas.
- Resource Supply Potential for Renewable Natural Gas in B.C.: A report by Hallbar Consulting on the resource potential for RNG in B.C. from agricultural, source separated organics, wastewater, industrial, landfill gas, and forestry/DLC wood waste.
- Global Food Waste Management: An Implementation Guide for Cities: A guide to assist cities with food waste diversion, prepared by the World Biogas Association and C40 Cities.
- Biogas: Pathways to 2030: A report by the World Biogas Association illustrating the significant role that biogas can play in reducing global GHG emissions by 10% by 2030 through replacing fossil fuels and reducing the methane emissions from conventional landfilling and incineration of organic wastes.
PRE-FAB WOOD CONSTRUCTION
- Rethinking Timber Buildings : An ARUP report on wood as a building material to improve the sustainability and resilience of building designs.
- Modular and Prefabricated Housing: A report by BC Housing, the Manufactured Housing Association of BC and the Real Estate Institute of BC, providing an overview of ideas and innovations in prefabricated housing.
PLANS AND STRATEGIES
Here are some excellent examples of climate strategies and plans from a variety of ijurisdictions, addressing one or more of the electricity, heating and cooling, or transportation sectors.
|Jurisdiction||Plans or Strategies|
|Copenhagen, Denmark||CPH 2025 Climate Plan|
|Vancouver, BC||Vancouver Climate Emergency Action Plan|
|Los Angeles, California||L.A.’s New Green New Deal|
|Amsterdam, The Netherlands||Amsterdam City Doughnut|
|Oslo, Norway||Climate and Energy Strategy for Oslo|
The following publications have been authored or supported by Renewable Cities:
- The local dimension of the NDCs: 100% renewable energy
Author: Global 100% RE / December 2018
Description: This report is based on an international dialogue, held in parallel with COP23 in Bonn, Germany. Its purpose was to explore how local government climate and energy actions can better be aligned with national NDCs.
- Renewable Cities: Mapping Enabling Policies for Vancouver’s 100% Renewable Energy Strategy
Author: Renewable Cities / February 2018
Description: The purpose of this project was to clarify the roles of different levels of government in relation to the City of Vancouver’s implementation of the Renewable City Strategy.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2017: Final Report
Author: Renewable Cities / October 2017
Description: This is a synthesis and jumping off point for summaries of Forum 2017 sessions. 320 leaders came together to discuss the urban energy transition.
- 100% RE Building Blocks: A practical toolkit for a sustainable transition to 100% Renewable Energy
Author: World Future Council / May 2017
Description: This document applies across jurisdictions with various geographical, political, social, cultural and economic conditions and provide guidance for policy makers, governments and community champions to develop their own 100% RE roadmap.
- Setting 100% Renewable Energy Targets in Municipalities – Synthesis
Author: Renewable Cities / February 2017
Description: How are different municipalities approaching setting a 100% RE target? This synthesis pulls together various reports with an aim of supporting policy-makers. Contributors and comments are welcome for this evolving document.
- North American Dialogue on 100% Renewable Energy in Cities
Author: Renewable Cities / September 2016
Description: Small, medium, and large cities from Canada and the United States came to learn about tools and resources and share opportunities for the transition to 100% renewable energy.
- Renewable Energy Challenge: Finding transportation, building and district energy solutions for a 100 percent renewable energy future
Authors: Vancouver Economic Commission; C40; Renewable Cities; CLEAN / June 2016
Description: A challenge session that asked participants to contribute to built environment and transportation solutions for New York City, Vancouver, and other groups.
- Zero Emissions, Big Business: How Can the Private Sector Help Cities Deliver on the Promise of Paris?
Authors: Renewable Cities / June 2016
Description: This panel discussion hosted leaders from 100 Resilient Cities; C40; CDP; Citi Bank, and the City of Helsinki to discuss how businesses and local governments can collaborate on zero emissions.
- COP21 Dialogue: 100% Renewable Energy in Cities
Authors: Renewable Cities; ICLEI; World Future Council / March 2016
Description: Our dialogue brought city leaders together from several continents to discuss the barriers and opportunities for adopting a 100% renewable energy target.
- Kassel International Dialogue on 100% Renewable Energy
Authors: deENet; Renewable Cities; World Future Council / March 2016
Description: A multi-stakeholder dialogue that developed a set of criteria that governments can use to implement 100% renewable energy, from planning, to engagement, to integration between energy end use sectors.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2015: Synthesis Report
Author: Renewable Cities / July 2015
Description: The Synthesis Report captures and condenses findings and challenges from the dialogues held at Global Forum 2015.
- Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum 2015: Final Report
Author: Renewable Cities / July 2015
Description: This report documents the 32 workshops and numerous plenary sessions that we held during Global Learning Forum 2015 in Vancouver and covers a wide range of discussions on 100% RE electricity, heating and cooling, and transportation.